Wednesday 14 March 2012

Dainty Doll loose mineral powder foundation and concealer click pen: Review

Dainty Doll loose mineral powder foundation (32g) £19.50
and
Dainty Doll concealer click pen (12g) £12.50
Available at larger Boots stores, Debenhams stores and online at daintydoll.co.uk

Ethics:
I emailed Jelly Pong Pong before buying their products and they assured me that:

They do not test on animals.
They do not use any animal by-products.
Their manufacturing plants are environmentally conscious and cruelty-free.

However I noticed after buying them that they are distributed by Original Additions, who seem to be an animal testing company.



Foundation Review:
Dainty Doll is a makeup collection inspired by Nicola Roberts of Girls Aloud and created by company Jelly Pong Pong. The idea is that the range of product colours and tones will match and suit very place skin colours. This is absolutely what drew me to the brand because I’m very pale skinned and have always found it problematic searching for skin make-up that doesn’t leave me looking orange.

I bought the foundation in the very lightest colour, 001 and was surprised to find it was actually too light for my skin and made it look much paler. So unless you’re extremely pale, as in goth-pale, go for the colour up (I presume that would be 002) even if you’re very light skinned. The product itself is fine, I think the foundation looks very light almost as if you’re not wearing much makeup while the coverage is still decent. Mineral foundation is really good for oily skin which is why I picked this one up, and found that the formula worked well with my skin type. The brush that comes with it is very soft and good quality, but you’d expect that for the price.

However, the packaging design is horrible. The applicator brush is attached to the vial of powder which means it doesn‘t come out easily at all, making it take far longer to apply than I can put up with since only tiny bits of powder come out at a time. It would be much better if the two were separate but alas I cannot seem to rip them apart. Shame.

Overall, the quality of the product is good but the design lets it down. It’s also pricey and wouldn't have bothered buying it if I'd realised the problems. I only used it once, disappointed.

6/10

Concealer Review:
The clicky part of the pen moves the formula up from the tube to the brush tip. This can be a bit tricky and it can take a few seconds for it to register, which lead to way too much concealer plopping out all over the place for me. As with the foundation, I think this is a design flaw. The actual concealer itself however is pretty nice, very light on the skin and doesn't look cakey. It's creamy so suitable for use around the eye area.

7/10

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the review, i think i'll avoid the powder - shame about the packaging!
    http://cloudsandcuticleoil.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete