Tuesday 14 February 2012

Superdrug Vitamin E nourishing night cream: review.

About:
Since recently making the discovery that the vast majority of popular brands still unnecessarily test on animals, I’ve vowed to do my best to find alternatives. Two problems I’ve come across is with finding comparable products of a similar quality, the other main problem is that cruelty-free products are much more difficult to find. As a general rule if you find a popular branded product, it’s probably been tested on animals. I’ve given up most of my favourite make-up items and cosmetics because I used many L’Oreal and Procter and Gamble products which are arguably by far the worst offenders when it comes to animal testing.

There is a list of good and bad brands available here.

I’m going to start off my new blog by reviewing all the Superdrug products I’ve used so far. I’ve found that buying Superdrug’s own brand products is a really easy way of cruelty-free toiletry shopping, as their entire range is BUAV approved. I’ve also managed to save money while the quality has remained comparable to much more expensive brands. I should also mention that The Co-operative Group’s own brand range is similarly cruelty-free and BUAV approved although they don’t have the wide range of products that Superdrug do.

Superdrug’s Vitamin E nourishing night cream (100ml) £2.99
Available from Superdrug stores or online at superdrug.com

Ethics:
BUAV approved.
Product and ingredients have not been tested on animals.
No animal ingredients: suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
UK brand.


Review:
This cream boasts “12 hour moisturisation” , “rich in vitamin E” and “high in antioxidants”. It is recommended for normal to dry skin. After taking a look at the ingredients, many vitamins are included such as vitamin E (of course) which comes high in the list, A, B5, F and H. There are also a number of natural soothing ingredients such as horse chestnut and parkii butter.

The fragrance is light and slightly coconutty, but not too overpowering. The cream rubs well into the skin and sinks in quickly, not leaving it too greasy. I have combination skin, some of it’s dry and other parts very oily, but I find this cream suitable for both types and mild enough not to lead to a breakout in spots. This cream does what it says on the tin- it leaves even dry skin feeling soft and looking moisturised. I’d say the level of moisturisation (if there is such a thing) is medium to high.

I’ve had the tub for a few months now and there’s still a lot left, so you get plenty for the price. I now much prefer it to other animal-tested face creams I ditched such as Garnier’s or L’Oreal’s as I found they were overly fragranced and were actually very harsh on my skin. I think they lead to breakouts and sometimes even a sore skin feeling which just made my skin look worse. So not only is the product actually better, but also a hell of a lot cheaper. I definitely recommend anyone to give it a go, don’t be put off by the home-brand label. Good quality and great value for money, I’ll definitely be buying this again.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment