Friday 17 February 2012

Superdrug Pro Vitamin shampoo and conditioner: Review.

Superdrug Pro Vitamin shampoo and conditioner (400ml) £1.99
Available from Superdrug stores or online at superdrug.com

Ethics:
BUAV approved.
Product and ingredients have not been tested on animals.
Shampoos suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Conditioners suitable for vegetarians.
UK brand.


Review:
These shampoos and conditioners come in four varieties: smooth & shine, classic, thermal protect and volumising. I use the volumising shampoo as my hair is very straight so gets flat at the roots, but use smooth & shine conditioner because the ends of my hair are very dry.

This range is Superdrug’s own brand version of Pantene Pro-V, which is made by the animal testing company Procter and Gamble. Price wise, the Pantene versions are more than twice the price, so the Superdrug version is definitely better value. I was a regular user of Pantene before I discovered their unethical practices, since swapping their shampoos and conditioners for the Superdrug versions I have noticed the results of both Pantene and Superdrug’s are the same, so there is no difference quality wise. I haven’t noticed any negative changes in the condition of my hair, which can sometimes be a bit frizzy. Since using Superdrug’s smooth & shine conditioner, I’ve actually noticed an improvement in the smoothness of my hair which I didn’t get with Pantene. It actually does make my hair smooth and shiny!

The products have a nice fragrance, a similar fresh smell that Pantene has. The ingredients list shows that panthenol (vitamin b5) is fairly high up in the list too. Unfortunately, although the shampoos in this range are completely animal ingredient free, the conditioners are not. This is very common even in cruelty-free conditioners which tend to use lanolin which comes from sheep’s wool. Although there is no lanolin listed in the ingredients of Superdrug’s conditioners, I notice “milk protein” is listed which may be why the product isn’t vegan.

Overall, these shampoos and conditioners are much cheaper than their branded counterparts, they match very well in quality and they’re also cruelty free. No excuse not to try them!

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment